Sunday, September 13, 2015

My love for siestas and everything Spanish

I think I’ve been in Spain long enough to have a valid generalization on the way of life here, and I am honestly in love with so many of the aspects of the culture and how this country has already changed me.
            First is the food. The food here is so fresh and definitely doesn’t have as many preservatives as the food I eat in the States. I have never been a tomato fan, but here I’ve literally eaten tomatoes straight because they are so delicious. I always feel healthy after a meal, which is such a contrast to how I feel after I have some meals in America.
            Another part of the culture that I really admire is the bluntness. Spaniards are not superficial, they do not sugarcoat things, and they are not fake. I absolutely adore that. It makes for some awkward situations when my señora tells me how rude it is to leave a towel out, but there’s such an authenticity to it. There’s no pretending or smiling at strangers, which makes their actions so much more genuine and beautiful.
            Also, my demeanor has changed so much since I’ve been here. This culture is just so laid back; it seems like people are never in a rush, and stress just doesn’t seem to exist. It’s only “no pasa nada.” Coming into this semester, I was already unusually calm, and being here has just emphasized that. Nothing fazes me anymore, and anxiety hasn’t even touched me.
            It’s also so interesting to notice myself interacting and living here. I’ve been plucked out of my usual habitat, with my friends who are the same sort of freaks that I am, and plopped into a completely foreign situation. I love how Spain just brings out people’s raw personalities because everyone is out of his or her normal element here. For me, I’m still quieter than others, I still love dancing, I still need my introvert time, and I still say ridiculous things. There’s no conforming to fit in or attempting to win people over. The Spain Hannah is the Minnesota Hannah.  
Lastly, I will mention my intense love for siestas. This is a time period that happens every day after lunch. During this time, the heat is at its peak, most shops are closed, and most Spaniards take a legitimate nap. My host family keeps telling me how Spanish I am because I have taken a nap every single day that I’ve been here. Today was actually the first day that I didn’t take a nap in Spain.
 Instead of taking a siesta today, I spent the day in Coria, where a church wanted to “adopt” us and pray for us at the beginning of our semester. It was a precious time of incredible worship, eating wonderful food, interacting with fantastic people, being prayed for, and lots of dancing. I may have missed my siesta, but it was well worth it.

Spain, you are beautiful, and I love you. Goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment