Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Granada

“I think it’s Granada.”

 

I did everything in my power not to show the joy exploding within me. I did everything in my power not to collapse on the sidewalk right there in shock and elation at what Micah had just said.

 

Instead I casually dug further and tried to hear more of Micah’s thoughts. He looked over, and he caught an evident smile on my face.

 

I had been convinced for weeks that it was Granada. I never mentioned this to Micah because I didn’t want to sway him. Micah was having a hard time making this decision, and I didn’t want to admit how confident I was in one of our options. If there was one thing I had learned in this process, it was patience. It was September 2019, and I had first brought up missions to Micah in February.

 

There were many reasons I wanted to leave the country and state to do missions in February, and those reasons and the stirring in my heart convinced me that we had to go as soon as possible. I didn’t realize how much Micah would halt my frenzied pursuit of missions.

 

He was hesitant. So hesitant. As a missionary kid, he had always had a heart for missions, and his goal was to return to the mission field. But that goal was always far off for him, so when I mentioned I wanted to go in a year or less, Micah was hiding his panic.

 

Along the journey, I admittedly got angry at God. When Micah was showing no signs of progress and no desire to move forward towards missions, I cried angry tears and questioned why on earth God would do this to us. Why on earth would God put this on my heart and not on my husband’s? Why on earth would he allow me to study Spanish for years and not allow me to use it? Why on earth would God have so clearly brought me and Micah together if we had different ambitions, paths, and timelines?

 

But God taught me patience, and I waited for Micah. I was putting too much pressure on him, so when we finally got to the point where we were in between two countries, I needed him to figure out where we were going. I couldn’t push him anymore. I couldn’t guide him towards any more decisions. I had to step back and let him lead this time.

 

At the same time, I knew it was Granada. Every day when I prayed and thought about it, I felt like God kept confirming it was Granada. I kept this a secret and instead just prayed and prayed for Micah. I prayed that God would provide revelation after revelation for Micah to know where we were supposed to go.

 

And here we were! We were walking down Como Avenue in Minnesota, and Micah was explaining why he felt it was Granada.

 

“Every time I pray, Granada just keeps coming to my heart,” he said.

 

“How do you feel about that?” I pushed for his honesty.

 

“Good! Excited,” he assured me.

 

My elation was clear. We continued to walk, hand-in-hand, and talk about the pros and opportunities of Granada.

 

For once, even if it was just this night, just this moment, we were on the same page. We agreed that we wanted to go to Granada. It wasn’t even the final, official decision. But it was agreement. And that, I thought to God, was His hands, His will, His doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment