Saturday, July 10, 2021

Reverse Culture Shock

In our modern age, it is absolutely bizarre how quickly you can get from one side of the world to the other. After a relatively short flight, you're in a completely different culture with not much time to transition, process, or prepare. So when Micah and I landed in the USA, there were some immediate reverse culture shocks that we experienced. The following are a few small and big differences we've noticed: 

  • Saying hi to people. Europeans don't say hi to strangers on the street. Americans do. This was a surprise!
  • Talking to each other on the street. In Spain, Micah and I could talk pretty openly on the street. We'd say things to each other that we normally wouldn't say in America like "that girl's shoes are super cute" or "is this woman doing okay? She looks lost" or other more personal things. In Spain, we knew people don't usually have a high enough level of English to understand us speaking rapidly to each other. Here in Minnesota, I've already caught myself many times saying things I probably shouldn't say when the whole world can understand me. 
  • Toilets. The water level is insanely high in the US. Also, every time I flush here, I reach for the top of the toilet because that's where the flusher is in Spain.
  • The insane variety of food!! I thought I'd be overwhelmed, stressed, and crying during my first grocery store visit in America. Although I was thoroughly overwhelmed, it was a delighted overwhelmed feeling. I wanted to buy everything! 
  • Taxes and money. I've been shocked when prices are way higher than the price tag says. I totally forgot about taxes!! Seeing green bills is also baffling to me. 
  • Food. I love American food. The end.
  • Communicating to strangers in English. I haven't interacted with a stranger in English in 9 months. I forgot how to do it. 
  • Saying gracias, perdon, ni idea, no pasa nada, and quĂ© guay all the time. These expressions come to my mind and my mouth before their English equivalents. 
  • The climate. My skin was dry and scaly in Spain due to the dry heat. Here, it's smooth and soft. Thank you Minnesota humidity!
  • Masks. No one wears masks in the US anymore! Coming from Spain where we put on a mask the second we left our apartment, we were shocked by this.  
These are things we've personally noticed so far; I'm sure there will be more. Stay tuned!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment