Saturday, November 21, 2015

Despedidas prematuras

Despedidas prematuras: premature goodbyes
I still have 3 three full weeks left in Sevilla, so this is a bit early for this list, but making it helped get my mind into a state of appreciation and transition. It allowed me to walk down the street and really drink in this city that has been my life for the last 3 months. Thinking about the things that I will not miss also gave me positivity to return home in a couple weeks.
Sevilla is a beautiful, magical piece of Europe, and I will miss so many details about it.
I will miss the pigeons and horses that populate the streets
I will NOT miss the rats that appear during deep conversations by the river at night
            I will miss the accordion players and other street performers
            I will NOT miss that stupid floating devil on the street
            I will miss not wearing a coat
            I will NOT miss sweating through my clothes in the middle of November
            I will miss the sound and smell of chestnuts roasting every few feet on the street
            I will NOT miss rolling my ankles on the cobblestone streets
            I will miss not having to tip at restaurants
            I will NOT miss trying to flag the waiter down for 20 minutes in order to get our check
            I will miss the brightly colored buildings and the palm trees scraping the horizon
            I will NOT miss the mob of tourists every weekend
            I will miss croquetas, chanquetes, and churros
            I will NOT miss the Spanish tortilla. I just can’t anymore
            I will miss the smiles of the elderly that I work with
            I will NOT miss 93-year old Manuel asking me to marry him every Monday
            I will miss biking around Sevilla
            I will NOT miss ripping my Sevici out of its slot
            I will miss waking up in the morning, lying in bed and reading texts, instagram posts, and facebook updates that happened overnight
            I will NOT miss talking to my family and friends with the 7-hour difference struggle
            I will miss all the students and teachers at school
            I will NOT miss having the same 4 classes. every. single. day.
            I will miss the life of the night with the bright restaurants, shops, cathedrals, castles, and fountains
            I will NOT miss inhaling cigarette smoke every 2 minutes on the street
            I will miss dinners with my host parents
            And that random California chick that was put in the same room as me
            And worshipping with my encuentro group
            And the wind of the river in the morning crossing the bridge
            And the Spanish language being spoken in every corner
            And azulejos, ancient architecture, and worn down street signs
            And dancing flamenco
            And the unripe oranges lying on the street

            And the laughs that are shared, even when culture and language are not.



Granada


No comments:

Post a Comment